Apply for your ETA Visa here
ETA Visa Status Check
Types of ETA Visa
ETA Conditions
Passport Conditions
Applying for Family ETAs
Highly Skilled Migrant Visa
Australian Working Holiday Visa
Hotel Australia
Contact Us
Australian Embassies


This information was taken from the Govt website dated JAN 2005

1. Do I need a ticket before I apply for an ETA ?

No. You do not need to arrange your flight to Australia before applying for an ETA.

2. What do I need to make an application ?

All you need to make an application for an ETA through this site is your valid passport from an ETA Approved Country and your credit card (American Express, Diners Club, JCB, Mastercard or Visa).

3. How do I know if my ETA is still valid for travel to Australia ?

If you have applied for an ETA through this site, you can check via this site to find out the current status of your ETA. You will need to provide some data from your passport and the Reference Number displayed by this site when the application was processed.

If you did not apply for your ETA through this site or did not make a note of the Reference Number, you will not be able to make an enquiry through this site. You will need to contact your travel agent or airline office and they can make the enquiry for you.

4. How does the airline know I have a visa to travel to Australia?

Airlines have access to the ETA database through their reservation systems. They will easily be able to make an enquiry via their computer system at the airport to determine your visa status when you check in for your flight.

5. What can I do if I am not eligible to apply through this site?

If you do not hold a valid country passport which may be used to apply for an ETA through this site then you will need to obtain a regular visa at your nearest Australian Embassy. A full list of Australian Embassy offices can be found by clicking on the link on this site.

6. Is my personal information safe?

This site operates under the principles outlined in the Privacy Statement. Only the data required to process your application will be collected. It will only be used for that purpose by this site. Limited audit information will be stored on this site. The full data on your application and ETA status will only be permanently stored on secure servers operated for the Australian Government.

Please see the Privacy Statement for further details.

7. What happens if I already have a visa or ETA?

If you apply for an ETA and the system determines that you already have a current visa or ETA with a longer period of stay than the ETA you are applying for, or the current visa or ETA has work rights or residency rights, the application will not be processed. There will be no charge for this application.

8. What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?

Once an application has been submitted and processed, and the credit card payment has been processed, you cannot cancel the transaction and the payment cannot be refunded. It is important that you are very careful when you type in your personal details.

You will have an opportunity to review all the details you have provided on your screen and can change the details at any time until you confirm all details as correct.

If you have made an error, it is important that you correct it before proceeding. Once you have confirmed the details, your credit card will be debited. If you find out later that you have made a mistake, you MUST make a new application (and incur another service charge).

9. What can I do if my browser does not support secure protocols ?

If your browser does not support the secure protocol (HTTPS), you must update your browser. The most recent versions of commonly used browsers can be downloaded free of charge from the web sites of the suppliers.

10. How long can I stay in Australia ?

The ETA will allow you to stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit. more info

11. I am planning a holiday for more than three months in Australia. What should I do?

You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay from your nearest Australian visa office.

Or, Plan B is that you may be able to travel to a neighbouring country at the end of the 3 month period, like New Zealand, and then return to Australia using the same ETA Visa so long as (a) your passport is current (b) it is within 12 months since you purchased the ETA visa online.

12. What conditions apply to my ETA ?

The conditions applying to ETAs are:

  • Your passport must be valid
  • You hold an ETA-eligible passport.
  • You must be outside Australia to apply for an ETA.
  • Your visit to Australia is for:
    • Tourism,
    • Visiting relatives,
    • Business meetings, or
    • A convention or conference.
  • You will not work in Australia.
  • You will not stay in Australia for more than three months.
  • You are in good health (including free from tuberculosis).
  • You have no criminal convictions.
  • You use the ETA within twelve months, or before the expiry date of your current passport (whichever comes first).

See the full list of Australian ETA Eligibility Conditions here.

You should note that you must not overstay your visit to Australia, that is, you must depart Australia before your authorised stay period expires. If you do not, Australian law requires that you be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying may also affect your ability to acquire another Australian visa, including an ETA, in the future.

Where exceptional circumstances arise while you are in Australia, on an ETA, that require you to stay longer than three months, you must obtain another visa from an Australian visa office in Australia before the end of the three month visit period.

Failure to do so may leave you an as an illegal alien in Australia, so please fix this before your ETA expires.

13. How do I arrange ETAs for my children ?

Each child will need an ETA.

If they have their own passport, simply get 1 ETA Visa per child on the applicable passport.

If they are travelling on one of the parents passports.

You need to enter the passport details exactly as for the parent, replacing the name, date of birth, sex and country of birth with the children's details as they appear in the passport. See more info here on the Family ETA's page.

14. I am in Australia on another visa. Can I apply for an ETA to have a holiday here?

No. You can only apply for an ETA when you are outside Australia.