Apply for your ETA Visa here
ETA Visa Status Check
Types of ETA Visa
ETA Conditions
Passport Conditions
Applying for Family ETAs
Highly Skilled Migrant Visa
Australian Working Holiday Visa
Hotel Australia
Contact Us
Australian Embassies

Australian Working Holiday Visa

Australia's working holiday program allows working holiday makers to have an extended holiday in Australia by supplementing their travel funds through incidental employment, and to experience closer contact with a local community.

Australia has reciprocal working holiday maker arrangements with:

  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Belgium
  • Hong Kong
  • South Korea
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Taiwan
  • Finland
  • Sweden
  • Netherlands
  • Most Working Holidaymaker eligible passport holders are able to apply for a Working Holiday visa anywhere outside Australia.

    Applicants who hold a valid passport from Japan, the Republic of Korea, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus, must apply in the country of their passport. HKSAR (including British National Overseas) passport holders must apply in Hong Kong.

    The reciprocal nature of the arrangements ensures young Australians are also offered similar opportunities for cultural understanding through working holidays overseas.

    Second Working Holiday visa

    From 1 November 2005, working holidaymakers who have worked as a seasonal worker in regional Australia for a minimum of three months while on their first working holiday visa, be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa.

    For the purposes of meeting the requirements for a second working holiday visa, seasonal work and regional Australia are defined as:

    Seasonal work: harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops, pruning and trimming vines and trees, thinning and trimming flowers and bunches and general maintenance crop work.

    Regional Australia: anywhere in Australia except

  • Sydney,
  • Newcastle,
  • Wollongong,
  • the NSW Central Coast,
  • Brisbane,
  • the Gold Coast,
  • Perth,
  • Melbourne
  • or the ACT.

    Any area identified at: requiring harvest workers comes within the definition of 'regional Australia'.

    Working holiday makers who intend applying for a second working holiday visa will need evidence of the length of time they have spent working as a seasonal worker in regional Australia.


    Before commencing seasonal work in a regional area, working holiday makers should obtain a copy of Form 1263 Working Holiday visa (Employment Verification Form) from their nearest office or Download a Copy here.

    This 1263 Form should be used to record all employment details and will be required when completing an application for a second working holiday visa.

    Information about seasonal work opportunities in regional Australia can be found on the Harvest Trail website at:

    Other acceptable evidence of seasonal work for working holiday makers who undertook seasonal work in Australia before May 2005 may be payslips, group certificates, tax returns, and employer references.

    Tax Refunds

    Most backpackers, working holiday makers and Business s are entitled to a tax refund after working. This can often be thousands of dollars. However, you must go to a "backpacker" specialist accountant. more info here

    Criteria for visas

    Currently, all Australian working holiday visa applications must be made overseas. Applicants need to be:

  • eligible passport holders
  • aged between 18 and 30, and
  • without dependent children.

    For more information and to try a FREE assessment form to see if you qualify, please click here.